After a mishap on the river, Andrew Cottingham patched a hole in his canoe with all-new cedar strips and fresh fiberglass.
Two Ottawa creators come together to put an original, modern twist on a classic woodstrip canoe hull.
How canoe building can offer a tangible, personally meaningful alternative for students who don't respond to traditional education styles.
Guest post by Svein Løvaas of Bergen, Norway, detailing why he chooses to build stapleless, the methods he uses plank the hull as tightly as possible, and a few pitfalls to be aware of.
Posts by Category
- Repairing Seadoggie: A Woodstrip Canoe Builder's Photo Essay by Andrew Cottingham
- My Stems Split During Steambending. Do I Need to Start Over?
- How to Build a Stapleless Hull by Svein Løvaas
- How Long Will My Canoe Build Take?
- One Canoe, Four Configurations: Customizing a Redbird for a Paddling Family
- Woodstrips Around the World: Bear Mountain South Korea
- Ted's Back Catalogue: Epoxyworks 1998-2013
- When the Worst Happens: How to Repair a Damaged Canoe
- MDF vs. Particleboard: Which Is Better for Molds?
- To Keel or Not to Keel?
- Say No to Sealer Coats
- Comparison: Champlain 16' vs. Prospector Ranger 15'
- How to Build a Wooden Canoe Cradle
- Storage Tips for Your Wooden Canoe
- How to Work With Glue When Planking Your Canoe
- 4 Ways to be a Better Canoe Builder
- Why You Should Build a Stapleless Canoe
- Canoe Building Safety
- Strip Planking and Safety When Working with Epoxy
- Strip Planking With Epoxy and Less Than Ideal Wood
- New Uses for Epoxy in Skeg Construction
- How to Fiberglass a Strip-Planked Boat
- 4mm Plywood vs. Cedar Strip Planking - Durability
- Fiberglassing a Woodstrip Hull - Techniques for a Perfect Clear Finish
- Creative Collaboration: Andrew Szeto and Drew Mosley's Painted Canoe
- Canoe as Alternative Education: Building a Prospector at Old Orchard Beach High School
- Mark Whittaker's Prospector: From Inspiration to Launch Day
- Canoes, Cameras, and Shop Class: Updates from the Q.C. Tech Shop
- Building a Kayak One Frame at a Time: The Work of w.werft
- With this Canoe I Thee Wed: A Model Proposal
- Today Is Not that Day! by Dean Smoll
- The Triple Crown - Lynnae and Doug Loeks
- How to Launch a Canoe from a Third-Storey Window, with Nick Offerman
- Andrew Cottingham's Prospector Ranger
- School Floats Student Success
- Diamonds on the Water - Prince Harry's Royal Racing Canoe
Canoecraft on the Water Video Contest
- Canoecraft on the Water Winner: André Martel's Endeavour 17
- Canoecraft on the Water Winner: Lauren & Reid's Bob's Special
- Canoecraft on the Water Winner: Frazer Johnson on the Water
- Canoecraft on the Water Winner: "Getting Along Just Fine" by Chad Gehring
- Canoecraft on the Water Contest Winners
Ted's Epoxyworks Articles
- From the Archive: Ruta Maya Belize River Challenge Documentary
- Kayakcraft Companion Video Released for Free
- The Art of Paddle Carving Released for Free
- Celebrating Canadian Canoe Culture with Goh Iromoto's "The Canoe"
- An Interview with Ron Frenette - Canoecraft Conversation Series
- Canoecraft Workshop Series Available on YouTube
Bear Mountain News
- 2017: Year in Review
- 40 Years of Boat Building: an Interview by Andrew Szeto
- Westport Workshop: Progress Report
- Banook Canoe Club and Bear Mountain Boats Featured on CBC News
- CHEX News Covers the Bear Mountain Workshop Move
- North Canoe for Sale
- Bear Mountain Boats Featured on MakerCast
- Bear Mountain Boats Is Moving
- Nick Offerman's Good Clean Fun
- 2015: Year in Review
- Celebrating a Job Well Done: Woodstrip Canoe Course, Sept 27-Oct 3
- My Canoecraft Contest Winners!
- Bear Mountain Boats, Nick Offerman and Canoeroots Magazine
- Bear Mountain Boats Mentioned in Popular Science Magazine
- Messing About At The Canadian Canoe Museum
- War Canoe Challenge
- Bear Mountain Boats to Paddle from Milan to Venice
- 40th Anniversary of Bear Mountain Boats
- Sparks Article in Epoxyworks
- Award Winner!
- Nick Offerman on Martha Stewart
- Sparks Shakedown Cruise Itinerary
History, Sprint Canoeing, and More
- War Canoes 101
- Thoughts on Paddling with Kids
- Paddle to Power: Trent Severn Antique and Classic Boat Association Show
- Building Across Generations: Celebrating Brownsea Base's 50th Anniversary
- The Sweetest Boat This Side of Heaven: Restoring Guy Lombardo's Tempo VII
- North Canoe Stempieces, Then and Now
- To Prince Charles and Lady Diana, from Pierre Trudeau
- The Original Moaning Chair
- Why No Steel Inwale Fasteners?